Creating Symbols for Moving lights

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
lewis

Creating Symbols for Moving lights

Post by lewis »

I was recently browsing the forum and found a tutorial for adding new symbols. It included adding iris and gobo info. The problem is that several of the steps were clearly from an older version.

I'm wondering if their is a more current example. I am using a demo version of LXBeams 2.1.1 (6407)

Also is there a documented standard for UID and naming of vendor fixtures?

Thanks in advance.

Lewis
Johan Söderberg

No reply but..

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Sorry Lewis to bomb your inbox with this, but I feel I just have to catch this ball.
You see, this is a very very good example of a typical downside with the LXSeries.

The product (all of LXSeries) is kept alive by ONE SINGLE PERSON and his task grows exponentially with all new functions he gets suggested, by me and others, on this forum and elsewhere.
Our admin then, I assume, somewhat flattered and being a very curious and ambitious person decides that it would be fun and interesting for him to see if these ideas could be implemented.

"Hmmm...." He says while he scratches his, since long, well polished chin, and gazes to the skies.
"Hmmmm. It ought to be possible... if I only... Oh yes! Must try!!!"

He then hastily wanders off into his nerdy little world where he can get instant appreciation and feedback from guys lke myself.

This is a problem that has to be dealt with before its too late.
What is crucial here is the simple exponentiality of it all. How can this possibly continue?

I don't know. But i gladly Volunteer to help writing helptexts, participate in skype or other global meetings to get instructions and give feedback about how to make the helptexts updated and adequate.

The part of the program here mentioned by Lewis (symbolediting) is one that I must say im not very impressed with. It´s actually really crappy, if you ask me.

I agree with Lewis that it´s difficult to understand and sadly I can tell Lewis that once you do it still doesn't feel very natural and the next time you dive into it you have forgotten how the heck it all was constructed and you have to start all over again...
Ive given up on that. I simply don´t try anymore.

I would however be glad to give our admin some time to rethink this part of the program.
In the meantime I could help for instance by updating helptexts.
It would be time well spent, Im sure and very confident in that.

SO I suggest that the helptexts in all of the LXSeries move over to a Wiki or something similar where many editors can help and participate.
It has to be a forum in which all editors are automatically updated upon any change, otherwise I guess it wouldn't be much of a help.

I can in such a forum contribute also with a full translation to Swedish and thus open new markets for other persons who may share the same ideals to aid me, you Lewis, and all us others in this glorious quest!

It is a problem and it´s increasing.
Thank you Lewis for pointing it out so well.

Time to react.
For us all.

Greetings from Sweden.
Johan.
:)
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

or can admin organize a site or dropbox where LxPro / LxFree users can upload their already created symbols to share with the wider community?
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Where in the forum did you find the out of date tutorial?

Ideas of a wiki and user upload area are good and worthy of consideration. Unfortunately, both carry security risks and need to be implemented carefully.
lewis

Post by lewis »

This is the tutorial. http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/dev_in ... _main.html

I have since gone through it again. Only this time I did not miss a step and I had success.

The process is still quite complicated.

I agree with other that a fixture/lamp database would be a good option.

Thanks
Lewis