Copying a Drawing in a Section

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
rmessnerjr

Copying a Drawing in a Section

Post by rmessnerjr »

While looking at a section for one of my plots, I wondered how anyone could make any possible use of that with a true CAD section drawing. Then a brain cell connection miraculously occurred in my aging brain and I clicked on the line tool in the pallet and began drawing lines, carefully comparing measurements with the CAD drawing copy I used in the Plot. Wow! Lot's of work but it came out nicely. (Good thing I took drafting in High School.)

Then the brain cells fired some more and I said to myself, "Let's try copying and pasting this side view drawing over to another Section view for another Plot. I copied and pasted and...voila! It copied in. Sadly, it also copied the pipe positions from the other Section. You see, I couldn't select individual lines from my Section drawing to copy over. It picked up the whole thing, including the Position lines.

Is there a setting that I missed that lumps each line segment I draw in with all the others in a Section drawing? Has anyone else discovered this and found a solution?
Ralph Messner, Worship Technologies Director
Tempe Nazarene Church, Tempe, AZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXFree/LXBeams 2.0 allow a single imported graphic to be placed behind the generated section. They also allow you to draw lines to annotate the graphic or indicate things like sightlines. It is possible to create a background for the section in another plot and then paste it in as the background. This happens in PDF format. Copying from the section also happens in PDF format.

The latest build version changes the section to be more like a regular drawing layer. So, you can use any of the regular tools to draw behind the generated section graphics. And you can also import graphic images. Copy and paste work like the regular plot with the exception that if you choose copy in a section view with no selected graphics it will copy the entire section in PDF format.

This is a MAJOR change and there are probably some unforseen consequences. Please post any problems you encounter with the new section view so that they can be addressed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build LXFree/LXBeams v2.0.2 (6007) improves drawing/selection/undo of objects in section view. Introduces allowing positions to be selected and manipulated in section view.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXFree/LXBeams 2.0.3 is now available as the latest build and allows manipulation of more 3D elements in section view. Here's some things to note:

Positions, 3DLines and 3DShapes that are displayed in a section can be selected and edited individually. The default is to constrain mouse manipulation to the vertical dimension. Holding down the shift key allows horizontal movement and in some cases resizing.
rmessnerjr

Post by rmessnerjr »

Wow! Thanks. Now that the season is over AND we're starting our new lighting install on Jan 4, I'll download the updates and get to work.
Ralph Messner, Worship Technologies Director
Tempe Nazarene Church, Tempe, AZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are in section view and use Edit->Select->All you should be able to select only the annotation lines or other objects rather than the projected positions.