LXNet2USBDMX - Could not find device. uDMX

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
Nokeyboard

LXNet2USBDMX - Could not find device. uDMX

Post by Nokeyboard »

Hello everybody!
I'm trying to get work my uDMX device by retranslating Art-Net signals to uDMX by LXNet2USBDMX utility app, because my software not supports uDMX devices.
I found LXNet2USBDMX that seems to do exactly what that I need.
https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/l ... about.html
But unfortunately it doesn't work. I see error in app 'Could not find device'.
I have uDMX device like that https://www.lixada.com/p-l0385.html
And device works from Max 8 program.
Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TmnUiX ... sp=sharing
I would be grateful for any help! Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It may be because LXNet2USBDMX is specifically looking for a uDMX device with the product name "uDMX" and the manufacturer "www.anyma.ch".

There is a new version of LXNet2USBDMX, 1.0.1 (https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/l ... about.html) that you can try that will fallback to accepting and connecting to any USB device with matching vid and pid numbers if a www.anyma.ch uDMX device is not found.

Assuming that your device has the vid/pid combination that is the same as uDMX, this should work.

If it does not work, choose "About this Mac" from the Apple menu. Click the "System Report" button. With your device plugged in, choose Hardware->USB from the list on the left side of the System Information window. Copy and paste the information from the device into a message. Here is what it looks like for a uDMX:

uDMX:

Product ID: 0x05e4
Vendor ID: 0x16c0
Version: 3.00
Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/s
Manufacturer: www.anyma.ch
Location ID: 0x14100000 / 11
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 120
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
Nokeyboard

Post by Nokeyboard »

admin wrote: If it does not work, choose "About this Mac" from the Apple menu. Click the "System Report" button. With your device plugged in, choose Hardware->USB from the list on the left side of the System Information window. Copy and paste the information from the device into a message.
Thank you very much for help! I've tried last version. It doesn't work.

My device info little bit different with you one:

uDMX:

Product ID: 0x05dc
Vendor ID: 0x16c0
Version: 1.02
Serial Number: ilLUTZminator001
Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/s
Manufacturer: www.anyma.ch
Location ID: 0x14510000 / 36
Current Available (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Huh, maybe I can update firmware of device to new with right ProductId...

PS: I've found sources of this app on GitHub. And change ProductID parameter:

Code: Select all

#define USBDEV_SHARED_PRODUCT   0x05dc
Now my device is recognised and works. I could connect my software via sACN protocol and it's works but DMX signal is very unstable. It seems like packets loss some times. In Xcode logs I see error:

Code: Select all

USB error: Input/output error
My software for DMX controlling (LightKey) has minimum refresh rate of 30HZ
Maybe the problem is that the chip of uDMX is not able to cope with such refresh rate? Or maybe updating the chip's firmware will solve this problem?
Thanks a lot for your help!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXNet2USBDMX has a double buffering scheme. So, it does not necessarily send dmx updates to the uDMX as fast as they are received from the network. It waits until the update has been sent to the device before starting a new update. Meanwhile, if a newer packet arrives from the network, its data replaces the buffered data for the next update.

In practice with an actual uDMX device, 40 Art-Net packets per second works out to 19-20 updates written to the uDMX. At this speed, there were no USB errors logged for many minutes of continuous streaming when I just ran this test. (Intel MacBook Pro running MacOS 11.4)

If it is possible to update the firmware of your device, I'd definitely try that. LXNet2USBDMX is only tested with a genuine uDMX from www.anyma.ch. So, the fact that you are using a different device is a big suspect in where the problem is and why you are seeing output errors.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In testing uDMX with LXConsole on an M1 MacMini, I noticed a curious thing about the output speed. This test was using the native version of libusb-compat from homebrew and the latest build of LXConsole which is a universal application and was running natively on Apple Silicon.

With the uDMX connected to a USB-C port through an adapter, the fastest speed was a little over 15 DMX frames per second. This was far slower than on my older Intel MacBook Pro. I tried removing the USB-C adapter and plugging directly into one of the Mac Mini's USB 3.0 ports instead. (I had to switch the mouse to the USB-C adapter because I had a keyboard and mouse using the USB 3.0 ports). With the uDMX connected directly with no adapter, I could get full 44 frames/sec DMX.

I don't know if this information has any bearing on you experiencing I/O errors with your device. But I thought I'd share the info just in case.
Nokeyboard

Post by Nokeyboard »

admin wrote:In testing uDMX with LXConsole on an M1 MacMini, I noticed a curious thing about the output speed. This test was using the native version of libusb-compat from homebrew and the latest build of LXConsole which is a universal application and was running natively on Apple Silicon.
With the uDMX connected to a USB-C port through an adapter, the fastest speed was a little over 15 DMX frames per second. This was far slower than on my older Intel MacBook Pro. I tried removing the USB-C adapter and plugging directly into one of the Mac Mini's USB 3.0 ports instead. (I had to switch the mouse to the USB-C adapter because I had a keyboard and mouse using the USB 3.0 ports). With the uDMX connected directly with no adapter, I could get full 44 frames/sec DMX.

I don't know if this information has any bearing on you experiencing I/O errors with your device. But I thought I'd share the info just in case.
Thank you for sharing such subtle points. And thanks for keeping the software in working order!

My software does not support uDMX directly, but I found a workaround how to make it works. It works through OLA and all I needed to do was:
https://www.openlighting.org/ola/gettin ... iguration/
Anyma µDMX
Linux
You need a udev rule like this in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
# udev rules file for the anyma dmx device
SUBSYSTEM == "usb | usb_device", ACTION == "add", ATTRS {idVendor} == "16c0", ATTRS {idProduct} == "05dc", GROUP = "plugdev"
Now all works perfect! Best regards!