Moving Beams around.

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
Johan Söderberg

Moving Beams around.

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Im running LXBeams Version 5.4.3 (14327.1)

Now Id like to use that cool little script called "Send PanTilt to LXConsole".

So I light up the lamps I intend to move around in LXBeams and pull their beams to where I think I'd like them.
I select the lamps whose PanTilt Id like to send to LXConsole and run the applescript.
The result is that the channels I had marked in LXbeams are now also marked in LXConsole, but no change occurs in Pan and tilt channels in LXConsole.
-
So I take a closer look in LXBeams under the Beams panel and note that moving the beams around doesnt affect the value under Device Tilt or Device Pan.
And vice versa - if I change the device values with the little horizontal fader the beams in my plot dont move, but I now have a value that the script can export to LXConsole :-)
-
So the script seems to be doing its job but the graphical representations of my beams dont change the device values for Pan and Tilt in LXBeams.
-
Then I test with another moving light symbol in LXBeams and that one works! So Somethings wrong with my custom made MARTIN Rush symbol I guess...

After a comparison I found it!

I needed to fill in the symbols Device parameters:" ipan=0;itilt_x=0;itilt_y=0"
And now my custommade symbol moves as expected...
-
Cant that be a standard default value ?
-
Well problem solved anyway :-)

And I didnt even reveal the embarrassing beginning of it all - when I had LXBeams listening to DMX and got confused with the beams in LXBeams moving back to previous position as soon as i let them go.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you post the fixture type and key location for the fixture that is missing the default value for device parameters?

The properties of the key entry include a default value for this field. This can easily be fixed in the key entry properties.
Johan Söderberg

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I made a copy of one of the robes in the library for moving heads.

I've checked them all and they have proper Device Params.

I may have converted one of these symbols to a graphic object and then back again from Graphic to Symbol. Maybe thats when I lost the Device Pameters from its properties and also in the device addresses.

When I turn a graphic into a new symbol it has no default text in the field for Device Params.

I think that could be filled with "ipan=0;itilt_x=0;itilt_y=0" when I make a symbol with a profile like "ColourMixing Automated fixture".

Also in the table for setting a symbols Device addresses I think it would be helpful with another column, or some other way, to show the desired unit.

Most functions are written in Percent, but some need to be filled in with positive and negative degrees.

I realized this when I saw that the beams could pan and tilt only about 90 degrees in my LXBeams plot. So what I saw on stage didnt look at all like what the beams in my plot were doing.
I had written that Pan and tilt also go from 0 -100. :-)