Connecting LXConsole to Enttec Open DMX Ode

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
Mj

Connecting LXConsole to Enttec Open DMX Ode

Post by Mj »

Dear Support Team

I really like the LXConsole. First time I used it it worked without a problem after I installed the Enttec with the right network properly. Next time I connected it to another Enttec Open DMX Ode which was connected to an Ethernet Switch. I installed the right Network and it worked without any problems. Next day I plugged it in and nothing happend. We tried a lot of different things in the preferences and suddenly there was only the d2xx driver (day before there were different drivers). We figured this was the problme but we have not an Enttec USB but Ethernet connection. When we tried the Widget Info it said "Ethernet Connection OK" and when I ran a cue the Enttec received it but no light went on. But it always says "d2xx connection error: FT_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
No Connection."
We checked the DMX connection on another laptop with another application and the lights worked.

Can you help me with this problem?

I have the Version 5.3.0 (12112.1)

I have a MacBook Pro OSSierra, Version 10.12.6

Thank you very much, all the best
Mirjam
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are two different interfaces with nearly identical names ENTTEC Open DMX and ENTTEC Open DMX Ethernet. The first uses USB and is not supported by LXConsole, the second uses ethernet and will work with LXConsole using Art-Net. To make matters worse, there is an ENTTEC DMX USB Pro which is supported by LXConsole. It sounds as if you are only trying to use the ethernet type device. So, first thing, make sure in the Preferences DMX Out tab that Art-Net is set to On and USB is set to off. (The widget info button in the DMX Info tab is only relevant to USB devices.)

The original ENTTEC Open DMX Ethernet (ODE) had only static IP Addressing. The trick is to use compatible IP addresses for your computer and the ODE so that they can communicate. The ODE Mk2 has DHCP and this make things much easier.

To determine if your computer can communicate with the ODE, enable Art-Net in the DMX info tab. There are two "on" options. Either will work. The difference is if there is a choice of IPAddresses available, you can choose to prefer either one that begins with 2. or one that begins with 10.. In a class A IPV4 address, the first number determines the "network". Only devices on the same "network" can communicate.

The ODE likely came with a factory default address like 2.a.b.c. Unless this has been changed using the NMU application, your computer will also need a static IPAddress that begins with 2. (Its subnet mask should be 255.0.0.0).

In order to use ethernet, File->External->Ethernet DMX should be enabled. With Art-Net and Ethernet DMX on, the Art-Net Nodes... button in the Preference DMX Out tab should be available. Clicking this will show a window that will display Art-Net nodes discovered using polling. If you can communicate with the ODE it will appear here. If not, check the network settings. You can post the IPAddresses for the computer and the ODE here if you are having difficulty.

One thing that can be tricky is if the computer has more than one network connection. If you have both ethernet and WiFi active, try shutting off the WiFi and see if that makes a difference in LXConsole's ability to communicate with the ODE.