LXBeams > LXConsole Display Config export = Magic sheets?

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
freadZdead

LXBeams > LXConsole Display Config export = Magic sheets?

Post by freadZdead »

Hi Claude,

Just a quick one, I noticed a nearly undocumented feature in LXBeams/Console interplay, called LXConsole Display Config export; Curious as I am, I have tried it out with unexpected result - being that all I have seen in LXConsole after the import is the numbers of the scale ruler blocks, but no channels/fixtures. Is this still in development/in testing, or am I a) doing something wrong, or b) have been expecting something that it is not (akin to the Magic Sheets from ETC EOS)?
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that's what display config files are used for. It allows you to use LXBeams drawing tools to re-arrange and label channels.

LXBeams exports lines, text fields and channel text fields in an .lxdconfig file.

You can create a channel setup from scratch in LXBeams. For example, you can open a Group Summary report in your plot. When you select a row representing a group in this report, you can choose Edit->Copy to place a graphic containing channel text fields for the channels belonging to the group onto the clipboard. Then use Edit->Paste to add these, usually to another plot window. This allows you to build up a magic sheet. There are a number of option about how the channel text fields are created controlled by a floating window.

You can also just set the text tool to draw channel text fields and just manually draw your magic sheet. Channel text fields have a single field that is displayed in the Inspector's info table, not surprisingly, "channel". When you check the box like you would to draw a channel field next to a symbol, the channel field is displayed like it will be drawn in LXConsole. This takes up more room than the basic LXBeams channel text field because of the need for LXConsole display the corresponding level.

However you do it, once you have your magic sheet drawn in LXBeams, you can use File->Export to save an .lxdconfig file which can be imported into LXConsole from the display options sheet.

One convenient workflow is to export a .lxdconfig file from LXConsole. Import it into a blank plot in LXBeams using File->Import->Data. Then, rearrange it and export it back to LXConsole. I do this all the time as I add and delete channels from a rep plot. Rather than re-drawing from scratch each time, I just modify the old display config from LXConsole in LXBeams and import it back into LXConsole.

At some future point, in might be possible to do some editing of the display directly in LXConsole. However, a lot of functionality like the ability to align objects (to make a neater display) already exists in LXBeams.

At the least, there probably should be an option to create LXConsole style channel text fields from the group summary report. That could come sooner rather than later.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXBeams latest build, Version 5.0.3 (13028.1), improves Channel Text Fields' console display mode. Also, there is an option in the Group Summary report's copy graphics panel that allows creation of channel text fields in console mode for eventual export to LXConsole.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Sorry Claude, bothering you with another question...

Lxconsole doesn't seem to export recognisable lxdconfig files. To edit them in LXbeams I mean. The file has the extension lxdconfig, but doesn't open in LXbeams. right-clicking on the file doesn't give any suggestions for a program to open it with , and manually selecting LXbeams from 'programs' doesn't work either.

About half a year ago I managed perfectly drawing manually in Lxbeams a lxdconfig plot and sending it to lxconsole, so I don't know what happens now....could you try figuring it out?

I upgraded Lxbeams to the latest version, and even downgraded some versions of lxconsole but nothing seems to help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First, please don't tack on a new question to an old thread. Instead, start a new thread with your question. This helps people searching the board for information because it can be confusing to follow a thread that meanders.

Be sure when you export the display configuration from LXConsole that its not set to "Automatic Layout".

In LXBeams use File->Import->Data... to import the .lxdconfig file.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

That solved the problem. Unchecked Automatic Layout, and it works. Thank you again!

And in the future I will not hook up to a thread , I'll open an new one. :D