Adding a Key and Legend in LxBeams

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
Fausto

Adding a Key and Legend in LxBeams

Post by Fausto »

Hi all,
I was wondering what is the best designing practice for adding a key and legend in LxBeams?

I am very happy about the way the software generates reports, but what I am looking for, it's a way to add to my lighting plan a key and legend, that the lighting crew can refer to when installing the lighting rig.

This is what I have been doing so far:
Say for example my lighting plan has 10x Fresnel 1200 Selecon:
I would place the 10 lamps in my lighting plan, then draw another lamp next to the stage plan, take out any channel or dimmer number, insert a text field and display some notes next to the fixture(s), for example " 10x Fresnel 1200w Selecon with barndoors".

Is this the best way of doing it?

I have also checked the wda_dtw.lxxplot example file and it seems that a new layer called "title" has been created with a key and legend.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Look at the Format->Insert menu for these two commands:

Add/Update Title Block inserts a graphic with the show name, venue, designer and date at the center of the current layer. (If a title block already exists, it is replaced.) The title block consists of a group of text fields enclosed in rectangles with a dividing line. To customize the title block, ungroup its elements and edit them the way you would any other graphics. (If you ungroup the title block, it will no longer be recognized and replaced.)

Add/Update Key Block inserts a graphic showing the types of symbols used in the plot at the center of the current layer. (If a key block already exists, it is replaced.) The key block consists of a group of symbol graphics and text field labels. The number of rows of symbols in the generated key block can be set in the Format Preferences. The key block includes an example symbol showing the displayed text fields of a single symbol selected from the plot. If the symbol is pointing up, the fields are shown in the same relative positions. If the selected symbol is not at 0 rotation, the fields are shown in their default locations. To customize the key block, ungroup its elements and edit them the way you would any other graphics. (If you ungroup the key block, it will no longer be recognized and replaced.)
Fausto

Post by Fausto »

Thanks for explaining that.
It's a very polished way of adding key legend and project title/info.

I had the impression that I was using LxBeams at 10 or 20% of its full capacity, but it's becoming more and more evident that it's probably more like 1 or 2%.

The more I dig into it, the more gems I find.