faders?

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
Pace514

faders?

Post by Pace514 »

HI all !!!

So the only way to have faders is via OSC? Something like touchOSC on iPad or let's say Behringer. BCF 2000? Just want to make sure.

Works well on my iPad anyway. But what i really need is a ''inhibitive'' submaster. i'd like to be able to limite outputs of groups of channels at any time using a fader. If someone knows how to do that... i would appreciate a little help here.

Thanks in advance!

Pascal from Montreal
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can control levels of channels, groups or subs with either OSC or MIDI.

A submaster can be designated as inhibitive in the advanced tab of the main window's drawer when in "Subs" mode. An inhibitive submaster proportionately limits the level of marked channels. If a channel would otherwise be at 80% and it is marked at 50% in an inhibitive submaster and that submaster's level is 50%, the resulting output level is 20%. If the submaster is at 100%, the highest the channel can be is 40%.
Elizabet

Post by Elizabet »

Hi!

I just started exploring LXConsole and I think it has all that I'm looking for. Last thing I was searching was this inhibitive submaster, so I'm happy to learn that it's possible, I just seem to be unable to find the 'advanced' tab you're referring to.
The 'drawer' is what opens when I hit the Inspector-button at the top right of the main window, right? Only at my computer it opens below the main window instead of on the right, and the knobs 'Basic' and 'Advanced' don't show. What am I missing?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the newest design, the inspector is indeed at the bottom of the window. "Basic" and "Advanced" no longer exist.

When you are in "Subs" mode, you'll find the inhibitive and related options in the "Cue Options" tab.
Elizabet

Post by Elizabet »

Thanks! Found that, but unfortunately can't really seem to get it to work... Just to check if I'm doing it right:

I select the channels I'd like to control by the sub
I click 'add sub'
I go to cue options and select 'inhibitive'
In live mode, values of the channels under that sub should now decrease when I set the sub fader to a lesser value then 100, right? But they don't, nothing changes when I use the fader or set the level manually in the sublist.

Then, another question, hope you don't mind: I bought a Nanokontrol 2 to fire cues and control the subs. LXConsole does see the Nanocontrol, but doesn't seem to respond to it. I tried to check MIDI In/Showcontrol in the File>External but no check appears (when I click OSC In for instance it does) maybe that has something to with it? And how could I fix that?

A last question when I'm at it (sorry...) would it be possible to use a knob from the Nanokontrol to adjust the level of any selected channel?

Thanks so much! I'm trying to figure all this out online, but I seem to get stuck...
Elizabet

Post by Elizabet »

Ah, got communication between Nanokontrol and LXconsole going.
Question about the inhibitive sub still stands.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Subs are referenced by number. When you choose Sub->Add Sub, it creates a new, blank submaster preset. This will have a number one greater than the sub you were previously editing, unless, that number already exists. In that case, the new sub will have a number one greater than the highest numbered existing submaster.

Faders are not necessarily the same as subs. Faders are used to control submasters. At any time, a fader controls a single submaster from its list of subs assigned to it. By default, the faders 1-9 have a single submaster in their list of presets which is the same as the fader number. This makes it seem like there is a one-to-one relationship between subs and faders. But, faders are actually more flexible than that.

To setup a fader, click the "i" button next to it. This lets you edit the list of assigned submasters and configure MIDI control. The default MIDI assignments match the faders and buttons of a Korg Nanokontrol. But, this can be changed for other controllers.