LX very slow

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
louison87

LX very slow

Post by louison87 »

Hello,

I just change an old LX to the new version.
Since LX is very slow, for each changement it's take 1 or 2 second to respond.
I din't found on the configuration the problem.

My set is a macbook pro 2 years old, and an Enttec MK2 usb pro

Also by the way even in the old version when i use the tracksheet all the responce of LX are relay slow

Thanks a lot
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you post the exact version of LXConsole where this is happening?

If you disconnect the MK2 or set DMX Output to disable, does the application speed up?

What driver are you using for the MK2? You can find this by looking at the connection in the Preferences DMX Info tab.
louison87

Post by louison87 »

Hello...

Thanks for your answer.

I use the version 3.9.0
If I disconect the MK2 it's work quick same for the DMX
Before I was using the D2XX but it's didn't work now: So I use the CU.usbserial-ENVVQ3A3

And also I use Yosemite sometimes it's make some trouble

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that the answer is in the driver you are using for the mk2.

Apple has started to include a USB FTDI driver with OS X. This overrides the D2XX driver that is recommended by ENTTEC and is installed with LXConsole.

The latest builds of LXConsole, currently 3.9.6 (9229.1), have improved performance with the Apple FTDI driver. But, D2XX remains recommended. One solution to try is to download the latest build version of LXConsole and see if it improves performance enough.

Another solution is to use the D2XX driver. The problem with D2XX is that you have to disable the Apple driver (and keep disabling it because it gets re-installed with every update of OS X) There is information on how to disable the Apple driver on the ENTTEC website.

Basically, you have to run a shell script similar to the following:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBFTDI.disabled

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBFTDI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBFTDI.disabled

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -u /
Or, you can enter the four lines that begin with sudo into the terminal individually. (you can also skip the first line "sudo rm -r..." unless you've previously disabled the driver and you need to get rid of the old disabled version)

Note that you may have other software that depends on the Apple FTDI Driver. You may end up needing to re-enable it so you don't want to simple delete it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is another issue with the track sheet. This has nothing to do with the mk2 and its driver(s). It has to do with some change that Apple made to OS X that is not for the better (at least in this instance).

Under recent versions of OS X, the track sheet has been causing long delays when switching to and from its window. This is due to some underlying system behavior that takes a while to update a large table when switching windows. There does not immediately seem to be a way of preventing the system from doing this.

So, the latest build, 3.9.6 (9301.1) adds a workaround solution. The new design minimizes the delay caused by the operating system by limiting the width of the Track Sheet table to only the number of columns that will fit into the window. Buttons are added to page left and right through the channels.

For a window width of 20 channels and around 150 cues, the delay when switching to and from the Track Sheet is only around 2 seconds. This is much less than the 10 or so seconds of delay when the Track Sheet displayed a table with all 200+ channels.

Perhaps Apple will eventually address this issue. But, using the newer view based table (as opposed to LXConsole's use of the original cell based tables) actually seems to make the delay slightly longer. View based tables have been included in OS X for a while. But this particular issue seems to have started with Yosemite. LXConsole running on OS X 10.8.5 with a large track sheet exhibits no delay switching between windows.
louison87

Post by louison87 »

Hello, thanks a lot for your answer.

Finnaly I download the lastest LX (3.9.6)

And it's works fine with the cu.usbseral-ENVVQ3A3
No lag and the track sheet looks better

And also a big big thanks for your work