Print formats

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
Johan Söderberg

Print formats

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I have a plot that I could print on a single A3 two weeks ago.

But now, since the last update, that same plot still looks the same in my computer but when I try to print it on an A3 sheet it puts all information in the centre of four pages and thus splits the image in pieces.

What´s happened?

Is there any way I can fix this?
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

There is nothing that has changed in the printing area for a while. There are sometimes unintended consequences of other changes. But, even so, nothing recent that has been changed has anything to do with something that would affect pages or printing. I did check the printing on a number of my plots to see if anything changed and it has not.

This leads me to think that something else has changed either with your printer driver or your plot. The first thing to do is to check your plot. Look at Page Setup and be sure those settings are correct for what you want. Click OK even if nothing appears to have changed. That way if the page setup information has changed--such as for a printer driver update--the information for the current driver will be selected and saved with the plot.

Next, check the plot size in the Document tab of the Inspector. It sounds as if it should be one page by one page. From LXFree's perspective, it is not possible to print in the center of 4 pages if the plot is only 1x1 page. However, it is possible that the printer driver is doing something with the pagination after the fact. For example, some drivers allow you to "Fit to One Page" or to set the "Pages per Sheet" in the Print dialog (this is what appears when you select "Print" not "Page Setup").

The final thing to check is the margin settings (Also in the Document tab of the Inspector). I tried to duplicate your error and the only way I could get it to happen is to set some of the margins to be fairly large (around half a page) and to then have the plot be 2 pages by 2 pages. In which case, the plot looked on the screen almost identical to the correct single page plot. But, it printed in the center of four pages. (You should be able to safely set the page margins to zero.)

If this does not provide you with enough information to solve your problem, please include all the information about which version of LXFree, what operating system (10.4.x, 10.5.6, etc.) and what printer driver you are using. You can get all this from "About this Mac" in the Apple menu.
Johan Söderberg

Thanks

I think I´ve already tried all your suggestions, but I´ll try again...

Another major change since last I printed the plot is of course that I´ve bought a new macbook pro. I run the same old HP printer with the same driveroutines but in a new system and an updated LXFree.

the Mac:

MacBookPro5,2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo
Processorspeed: 2.66 GHz
nr of processors:1
cores:2
L2-cache: 6 MB
Ram: 4 GB
Bus speed:1.07 GHz

I´ll be back after further testing.
Til then

Thanks again for good and quick support.
Johan Söderberg

The plot thickens and a solution appears!

Yesterday I downloaded a whole bunch of updates from apple.

Today my prints look just fine, problem solved!

MAC OSX 10.5.6 with the latest updates works! :D