Key Block modifications cause crash

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
NoCoPro

Key Block modifications cause crash

Post by NoCoPro »

I've been using LXBeams for a couple years on an occasional basis. I recently updated to the new version and cannot manipulate the Key Block without the software crashing.

I loaded v3.2.1 a couple days ago, and updated again today to 3.2.4, running on a MacBook Pro under OSX 10.6.8. I can create a new key, but moving it or resizing it causes a crash.

Any thoughts or insight on how to get a usable Key on my plot would be appreciated.

Thanks!
NoCoPro

Post by NoCoPro »

I've now got a stable Key Block positioned where I want it. When I grab it with the cursor to drag it or move it by changing the values in the Measurement Inspector, that's when it crashes. Moving it by selecting it and shifting it with the arrow keys seems to be fine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The cause for this is not obvious (it does not happen right away in any plot). So, in order to track it down, a couple of things would help. First, you can e-mail the specific file to see if there's something in that file that is causing the crash. Second, there should be crash reports for the issue that can be found by going to Utilities and using the OS X Console. On the left side of the console window there is a section (under user diagnostic reports) that will have the crash reports that will provide more information.
NoCoPro

Post by NoCoPro »

Thanks. I sent you reports and a file via e-mail. As mentioned in the e-mail, the cause seems to be inadvertent resizing of the block, rather than just moving it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for sending the crash reports. This issue is clearly limited to 10.6 and has a fix in build 3.2.4 (8313C).

With newer releases of OS X and XCode, it gets increasingly difficult to support older operating systems. Now that 10.9 has been released, it is time to think about discontinuing support for 10.6 in the newest builds of LXSeries software. While it is not yet at the point where this is necessary--and 10.6 is still a fine OS--the work required to continue support will eventually reach a point of diminished returns.