MLP custom symbols to LxBeams

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
lanternz

MLP custom symbols to LxBeams

Post by lanternz »

Is there some way to export my custom symbol library from MacLux Pro 2.2 to LxBeams?
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Symbols in built into MacLux Pro are coded using QuickDraw system routines from the ClassicMacOS. Custom symbols in MacLuxPro are simply stored images using the PICT format specific to the older Macintosh operating system. One image for each possible view of the symbol.

Symbols in LXFree are collections of simple drawing commands stored in an XML based file. These commands are read to produce a symbol that can be freely rotated and reproduced not only by OS-X but by other platforms as well. (a current project displays them using Java on Windows XP).

Long answer to say no, you cannot use MacLux Pro symbols with LXFree.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Since most of my custom symbols in MLP were simply a cut and paste from a Vectorworks symbol which presumably is a collection simple drawing commands, is there some way to import these blocks in to LxFree? It seems a pity when there are so many instrument symbols floating around as .dxf files that we can't grab them into LxFree. I am dreading doing a new VL3500 symbol as a series of points and lines.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Like many parts of the LXSeries design, the structure of .lxsymbols files is very simple and XML based. It is meant to be open and extendable. I'd be happy to help with documentation for anyone who wants to create a conversion to .lxsymbols files

The LXSymbols editor does allow you to paste an image into its editing view so that you can "trace" its outline. The built-in symbols for some moving fixtures including MAC and VL were created using this process.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

My copy of the app does not have any built in symbols for MAC and VL. Am I missing something?
Lanternz