DMX Lead into XLR lead?

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
sunny

DMX Lead into XLR lead?

Post by sunny »

Hi there,

(This is only peripherally related to LX Console, so I hope it's ok to post here!)

I have an Enttec DMX USB Pro box, which plugs into my dimmer pack via the 5 pin dmx end on the enttec end, and a 3 pin end on the dimmer pack end.

If i need a longer length (currently i have a 63ft dmx lead and i need to run it about 100ft, so need about 40ft worth of extension), can i plug a 3 pin XLR lead into the 3 pin DMX end to extend it? (just because i already have a 50ft XLR cable, so it would mean I don't have to buy another DMX lead...)

Thanks,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This may work.

Its not quit right because of the impedance of the cable. DMX cable should have an impedance of 120 ohms. Mic cable is usually in the 40-80 ohm range. This is a small difference and in a relatively short distance probably does not make a difference. In a longer distance, you might see signal reflections or other artifacts in the signal.

Part of how well this works depends on the termination at the dimmers. Higher quality dimmers are generally more immune to noisy signals.