Looking 4 Toronto based LX Console person to troubleshoot

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
sunny

Looking 4 Toronto based LX Console person to troubleshoot

Post by sunny »

Hi there,

I'm having troubles with LX console and looking for someone in toronto to come in in person and help troubleshoot with my system. I'm using qlab on my laptop, along with some lighting software, lx console, which are communicating via midi patchbay. They run some lighting in my set. The theatres lighting is run off their lighting board, so this is nothing to do with them.

I've never had problems with my system/ equipt/ software before and I don't know how to fix it. I'm not super technical, so am having trouble following the instructions suggested in this forum.

I've described the set up and problems in more detail below.

The set-up:

I'm using qlab on my laptop, along with some lighting software, lx console, which are communicating via midi patchbay. It runs some lighting in my set (i have 2 dimmer packs and about 9 lights). The theatres lighting is run off their lighting board, so this is nothing to do with them.

I've never had problems with my system/ equipt/ software before (which someone else set up for me) and I don't know how to fix it. eek!
The problem:
It's been a few days worth of problem actually!

1. First, Qlab/ MIDI Patchbay unexpectedly lost control of LX Console. When I'd go to fire off an lx cue on Qlab, the exact same cues which were working an hour earlier, no longer worked. I don’t think it’s the lighting equipment (DMX cable, dimmer pack, lights) – when I try to execute a Qlab cue, and look on the “live” display of LX Console, it hasn’t executed the cue. The only way I found to resolve that, after trying some things suggested on the LX Console forum, was to cut and paste all of both the Qlab cues as well as the LX console cues into new files. It worked again for a little while, but then lx console started freezing.

2. So I downloaded the latest version of LX console (i was using Version 2.3.1, I'm now using Version 3.1.2 (65A03). FYI I’m using MIDI Patchbay Version 1.0.3 (14) and Qlab v2.3.7. At first, when I just tried without hooking up my computer to my little entec box via USB (which is then connected to my dimmer pack), it was working - i could see the lx cues ticking over in "live" mode in lx console. then once we hooked everything up (entec box, dimmer etc) it stopped working again (not sure if straight away or a little while later - my tech student was operating it at the time). Now:
- when i press go on the qlab cue, the LX console cue in "live" mode doesn't execute

here's what i've tried:
- Lx Console: when I go to “File” and click on “External” I have “MIDI and show control In” ticked,
- On LX console, the “Preferences” under “MIDI” - “MIDI in connection” is set to “vo”. On my MIDI Patchbay, it says the MIDI out is set to “vo” and MIDI in is set to “vi”. On Qlab both the MIDI and the MSC have patch 1 to “vi”.
- I’ve also tried shutting everything down and restarting. And I’ve tried other files for other shows (which were working previously) and they are having the exact same problem.
- I've tried cutting and pasting the cues into new files like i did last time, and it doesn't work.
- I downloaded MIDI Monitor. When I activate a cue, it is sending 2 messages as it should be, 1 vo and 1 vi.
- I've cleared off a lot of files from my computer so there's a lot more space in case it was my computer having trouble doing so many things at once.

if you can email me directly with a response i'll get that faster: sunny@sunnydake.com

best,
sunny