Importing Venue / Scenery Issues

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
drathbun

Importing Venue / Scenery Issues

Post by drathbun »

I'm having a devil of a time figuring out how this program works. I've been using WYSIWYG for about 10 years, but I've since dumped it as I can't afford to keep it updated anymore.

Does this program just do a grid layout of lighting positions? I see the import DXF option and I can import a 2D DXF of the venue but I can't import a DXF from Sketchup of my scenery. No matter which version of the DXF (ACAD 10 through 2010) I get messages about unsupported VIEWPORTs and the imported drawing is all skewed.

If this is a 2D only program, how are the section and elevation views derived or drawn and what is with the beam drawing capability?

Am I missing something? Is there a way to import a 3D drawing of my theatre? If I have to draw it in this program it would kill me.

The help files are decidedly not helpful with any detail at all.
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

When I use Sketchup's export 2D DXF and turn off all the options and make it 1:1, I get four circles which represent the very top of four 11' columns on the set. The rest of the set is not there. LXBeams reports a successful import with 190 entities and no messages. Those 190 entities are the segments of the circles. Why are the rest of the lines not coming through?

The exported file opens fine in AutoCAD 2011 and TurboCAD.

There is an export option from Sketchup to choose the version of DXF to use. Should I use the earliest version (AutoCAD 12 DXF) or the latest version (AutoCAD 2011 DXF) or something in between?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DXF and DWG files are very complex with many variations over all the versions of AutoCAD. There's a reason why AutoCAD makes a big deal about genuine DXF/DWG because no other application is able to keep up with all the changes. (It is probably also why AutoCAD itself is a bloated and unwieldy application.) For example, TurboCAD does a lousy job with DXF exported from LXBeams. However, these render fine with AutoCAD.

AutoDesk does not clearly document the DXF file format and this is one reason why supporting it completely (for any company other than AutoDesk) is essentially impossible. LXFree and LXBeams support a basic set of DXF entities. They do not by any means support all possible DXF files.

If you look in the messages window, you will probably see a series of messages about unsupported entities. This will tell you what LXFree or LXBeams failed to import. LXFree and LXBeams' DXF import does not currently include entities added after 2008. You can e-mail a copy of the DXF file to lx @ claudeheintzdesign.com and it may be possible that support can be added in a future build.
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

admin wrote:DXF and DWG files are very complex with many variations over all the versions of AutoCAD. There's a reason why AutoCAD makes a big deal about genuine DXF/DWG because no other application is able to keep up with all the changes. (It is probably also why AutoCAD itself is a bloated and unwieldy application.) For example, TurboCAD does a lousy job with DXF exported from LXBeams. However, these render fine with AutoCAD.

AutoDesk does not clearly document the DXF file format and this is one reason why supporting it completely (for any company other than AutoDesk) is essentially impossible. LXFree and LXBeams support a basic set of DXF entities. They do not by any means support all possible DXF files.

If you look in the messages window, you will probably see a series of messages about unsupported entities. This will tell you what LXFree or LXBeams failed to import. LXFree and LXBeams' DXF import does not currently include entities added after 2008. You can e-mail a copy of the DXF file to lx @ claudeheintzdesign.com and it may be possible that support can be added in a future build.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So, to clarify, what DXF format does LXBeams support? How do I get my Sketchup (2D export) drawing into LXBeams?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXBeams has partial import support for DXF entities up to AutoCAD 2008. If you can export your model as lines rather than 3D elements, that's likely to work better.
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

admin wrote:LXBeams has partial import support for DXF entities up to AutoCAD 2008. If you can export your model as lines rather than 3D elements, that's likely to work better.
Excellent. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

Okay. I worked back and forth from Sketchup (version 8 Pro) to LXBeams all day and here is what I've discovered so far.

When exporting DXF (any version), only circles will show up.

I created a simple drawing with a rectangle, a single line and a circle. To export an accurate 2D top view from Sketchup, you first set Camera to Parallel Projection and Standard View to TOP. Then export 2D DXF with various versions of AutoCAD DXF. Only the circle shows up although LXBeams reports that all the entities have been imported (no messages).

However, if I go back to the same Sketchup drawing and tilt the drawing very slightly using the Orbit tool (which puts the drawing into 3D mode), then export with the same settings, all the entities show up in LXBeams.

Although this is a workaround (I haven't tried it with my full design) it will not be accurate as the resulting export is tilted even if slightly.

I've found another workaround, although this is VERY inaccurate. I exported the 2D wireframe of the Sketchup model as a graphic PNG file and imported it as a graphic in LXBeams and then moved and resized by eye to have it fit as close as I can inside my venue plan.

There must be something funky going on with the 2D export using parallel projection and standard views from the Sketchup side. It is odd that LXBeams reports the entities are there but they don't show up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't speak to how SketchUp Pro exports DXF. However, there is a free plugin for SketchUp that exports DXF. It has an option for exporting a SketchUp model as DXF LINE entities. This will work with LXFree and LXBeams.

The latest builds of both LXFree and LXBeams allow importing DXF LINES into LX 3D lines. (This is build 6812 and is available starting today.)

You can find the DXF export plugin here: http://www.guitar-list.com/download-sof ... dxf-or-stl
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

That's wonderful! Thanks so much!

I installed the plugin and exported my Sketchup model as DXF (polylines) having first put the model into Top View, Parallel Projection, and selected the portions to export. Worked like a charm.

Now that I know I can get DXF files into LXBeams in this fashion, the program is very very useful for me. I will be registering my version.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Doug
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One additional trick that might be of use: DXF import can produce thousands of graphic objects. This massive number of objects can slow down LXBeams.

If the use for the DXF is as a ground plan, you might want to consider exporting as PDF and then using that PDF in a new plot. Imported PDF graphics are drawn very quickly and do not incur the same overhead as thousands of separate objects.
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

Excellent tip I'll give that a try.