Robin 600 Symbol

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
admin
Site Admin

Robin 600 Symbol

Post by admin »

Question:
Is there a way to import a Robin 600 led in to my symbols library? If not how should i go about drawing it in LXSymbols editor??

Answer:
The latest version of LXBeams does away with the need for the symbol editor and symbol files. Symbol editing is built into LXBeams.

Perhaps the easiest way to make a symbol is to draw it using LXBeams' regular line, curve, rectangle and oval tools. (You can draw it larger than you need and then select the parts, choose Format->Convert->Selection to Path and resize the path to be the correct size.) When you are set, select the graphic you want to make into a symbol and choose Format->Convert->Selection to Symbol.

You need to decide what kind of light the symbol represents. In the case of the Robe, choose "Color Mixing Automated Symbol". Choose "next" and enter other information about the symbol. In the case of the Robe, the color mixing type should be "rgbw". The rest does not matter so much.

Once you have clicked "Finish" you will have your symbol in the key. However, with a device, you will also need to setup the addresses in the device info panel according to the DMX configuration you are using.

In the case of the Robe 600, there's a much easier solution. In the latest build of LXBeams, you can choose to load the "moving" key and there are Robe 600 entries in there configured for DMX mode 2 or DMX mode 3.
Johan Söderberg

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Wow.
Sounds like a huge improvement!
The symbolEditor was a part I sure won't miss.

Thanks !
:)
joebataz

Disappearing Device

Post by joebataz »

First I am an extreme noob. Like hours into LX. I Went through the tutorials and finally after searching the forums found this thread which is kind of what I wanted to do. I drew out a couple of fixtures, did the convert->path, convert->symbol. And there they were in the key library. Quit to do something else and now I have come back to work with LXBeams and my devices are gone.
Where did they go? I searched through every one of the keys and they are somewhere in never-neverland. Anybody got a clue where they went?
Also, I use a lot of American DJ devices because I'm a small DJ operation. Is there an ADJ key around or is it to low rent to be used by the LX tools?

TIA,

joeb
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A key is saved with the plot. You should find the key entries you created in the key of the plot that you used to make them.

Key entries from various library key files can be used in any given plot. Entries from a library key file are added to the current plot when it is loaded using the "Load Key" menu from the popup in the Inspector's symbols tab.

You can export a key and put it in the Library for use with other plots. To export a key, you also use the popup menu in the Inspector's symbols tab. For LXFree to find the key, it must be placed in the user/Library/Application Support/com.claudeheintzdesign.lxseries/keys folder. ( With 10.7 Lion, the user library is hidden. You can choose "Go to Folder..." from the Finder's Go menu and enter "~/Library/Application Support/com.claudeheintzdesign.lxseries" to get to where you will find the "keys" folder that you need to put the exported key file into. )

There is also an Import..." option in the Load Key menu. This allows you to load a key from anywhere you might want to store it. When you import a key using that command, LXFree will ask if you want to add it to the library and, if so, will put a copy in the correct location for you.
joebataz

Keys

Post by joebataz »

Thanks!

joeb
Poplinski

Robe Robin 600

Post by Poplinski »

I have been using Robin 600 in a production and was quite happy to find out that LX beams supports this now as well as it was useful to be able to read the template in order to be able to make my own.
In the case of Robin 600 I found that the template for MODE 3 (15 dmx) is correct, but the template for MODE 2 (21 dmx) is lacking one parameter, intensity (dimmer) fine , on ch 21. (Anyway this is what it says in the documentation I have and it has proved to be correct in practice).

Now, I have been working on a few other templates and I wonder if I can share them by sending them so they can be used in the key library?

Cheers, Uli
Poplinski

fx

Post by Poplinski »

And while I am asking, one more question:
How far are we from being able to apply fx to certain parameters like pan/tilt ? e g a sine wave to produce movement?

This is in fact the only thing I am missing to be able to run MH properly.
(Nevertheless LX is already an outstanding application! but this would be like heaven)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There has been some discussion about creating a page on the website for user files that people wish to share. Perhaps it will happen. But, it may not be automated at first, it may just be e-mailing the files and having them posted manually.

Also, are you asking for more than one effect to be run at a time? Or, are you wanting the ability to run a separate effect on an individual channel? What is MH?
Poplinski

Post by Poplinski »

I am looking for the possibility to run more than one effecte e g chase at the same time. Which might be possible like J Söderberg said with running several instances of lx and that way several effect windows. But it would be better to be able to run several effects in the same instance of the app.
The other thing I am talking about is applying a fx, e g sine wave on certain parameters as you can do with other consoles where it`s called dynamic effects. This is to create movement or shapes with automated fixtures.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Multiple effects can go on the wish list.

There is now a place to upload and share files on the support page of the website. http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/support.html