Reset origin

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
lanternz

Reset origin

Post by lanternz »

I am trying to correct the position of a large drawing on a page. I drag all the instruments to the new position then set a new origin point or I do the origin point and then drag. No matter what sequence of operations I do I cannot seem to get the beams to relate to the new origin point - they always stay at their original relative positions. Is there a work around for this? LxBeams build 6124, OS 10.7.2.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The origin simply determines the user's coordinate system. That is, how measurements are reported. Changing the origin does not move anything. If you change the origin you will see that the numbers representing a light's focus have changed. But, the focus relative to the light and other objects in the plot will still be the same as all of their coordinates have been changed by the same amount.

Moving a light does not move its focus point. You can move a light and its focus at the same time by first creating a beam for the light. Then select both the light and its beam and move them. They will move together. The focus of the light relative to its location rather than an location on the plot remains the same in this case.

The only time that all objects, including beams, are moved in absolute coordinate space is when the plot size is changed while the "Center Origin on Resize" option is enabled. This option is found in the popup menu of the Inspectors Document/Size tab. This option can be used to move a plot's contents around the "paper space". Typically, you might want to increase the paper size and this option allows you to do that equally on all sides of the origin so that the origin is centered in the new boundaries. (Without this option, the paper size is increased toward the top and right of the screen.)

Note that because the origin does not change any actual locations you could temporarily set it to where you want the center of the paper to be (which may have nothing to do with actual coordinates for the plot). Then, resize the plot with the "Center Origin on Resize" option. This causes the point you chose as the origin to become the center of the paper. Then, move the origin back to where it makes sense for you to read coordinates relative to the actual stage.