My beams are uncoloured. How do I reset them?

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
Johan Söderberg

My beams are uncoloured. How do I reset them?

Post by Johan Söderberg »

A long time I ago I managed to shut off the fill colours in all beams and now I don't remember how I did that or how to get their colours back.
:)
Johan Söderberg

Eureka!

I think I found it!

If I mark the beam oval it can be edited as any grapical object with line and fill colours. So I alter my question some.

Is there anyway I can make this the default option - beams are filled with gel colour fetched from a colourlibrary?
Johan Söderberg

ehh... no I didnt...

Nope.
Since I marked the beam and asked it to be filled it stays so until I run a script from LXConsole. As soon as the channelvalue is altered the beam becomes unfilled again, and it stays so in any value.

So I guess the question remains after all. :cry:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Beams are created using the stroke/fill settings of the oval tool.

Choose the oval tool and use the Inspector's stroke/fill tab to choose the desired settings for creating a beam. Then select the arrow tool, select a light and choose Create Beam. Or, send a cue from LXConsole.

Beams can be manipulated like other drawing objects. But, they are temporary. Beams are re-created each time you send channel levels from LXConsole.

Other settings for creating beams are found in the Inspector's beams tab. And, display settings are found in the View->Beams menu.
Johan Söderberg

Does this mean I can´t get symbols drawn only with a coloured outline to show coloured beams?

I like my plot to be readable and without too many blobs of colour so I hardly never use the option to fill symbols with colour.
Being an old fart I like to put my channelnumbers inside the symbols like we did way back then when we drew by hand... That looks nice, but becomes unreadable in print if I've also filled the symbol with LEE120.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Beams are colored first by looking up the light's color in the color library. The fallback is that the color is taken from the light's fill if the color is not found in the library. (Or, taken from the stroke color if only the auto stroke color preference is checked)

So yes, provided that the color, eg. L120, is in the library, you can have a colored outline and a colored beam.

One side note: A blank color is read as open white by the color library. If you want an arbitrary stroke or fill color to colorize your beam, you need to enter some name in the color field that is not in the library (can even be two spaces so it appears blank but isn't).