More OS X install glitches

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
box1088

More OS X install glitches

Post by box1088 »

I am running the same problems as Caroline did last month - get all the way through install process but program does not open.

Thanks for help.

- JD
Joel Dancingfire
box1088@mac.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This appears to be a browser related issue on OSX 10.4.11.

It is not clear however which browser is being used. Nor is it clear which application is giving the "nothing to open" message.

The actual file being downloaded is named "lxfree.zip" Safari 4.1.2 or 4.1.3 downloads this archive file and expands it behind the scenes leaving "lxfree.pkg" Safari then opens "lxfree.pkg" with the Installer. The file "lxfree.pkg" remains on the Desktop (or the location that Safari preferences are set to save downloaded files to).

Firefox presents a dialog asking to open or save "lxfree.zip". To open the file, you must choose the application. The archive utility is not obviously accessible on OSX (in 10.4 it is called BOMArchiveHelper.app on later versions it is called Archive Utitlity.app) You can have Firefox uncompress lxfree.zip with BOMArchiveHelper but you need to know where to find it. BOMArchiveHelper is in the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder. If you try to open lxfree.zip with the Installer directly, it will fail. You can also save "lxfree.zip" to the Desktop and then double-click to expand it. In either case, you need to open the uncompressed "lxfree.pkg" file with the Installer to install LXFree.
box1088

LX series fails to launch

Post by box1088 »

Thank you for you recent reply.
I think I tried everything on your suggested list but the application still fails to launch or open.
I do not have Safari on this machine. I downloaded and tried everything you mentioned first with Foxfire and then with Opera. Still no open application.
I did find the com.apple.bomarchivehelper.plist but do not know what to do with it. How does one open it in conjunction with LX?

Sorry to be such a pill about this. It may be best to bite the bullet and simply purchase the MacLux that I am familiar with.

Thanks for your continued help.

- Joel D
Joel Dancingfire
box1088@mac.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Its still not clear which step in the process you are stuck with:

1) Downloading the "lxfree.zip" file.

2) Uncompressing "lxfree.zip" to get "lxfree.pkg".

3) Opening and installing "lxfree.pkg".

4) Actually running LXFree.app after it has been installed.

(The MacLux Pro download is also .pkg that has been compressed into a .zip so downloading and installing it may not be any different for you.)

If you are stuck with #1, do not try to open the download with your browser. Instead, choose to save the file "lxfree.zip".**

If you have "lxfree.zip" then you need to uncompress it. You should be able to double-click and have OSX do this for you. The uncompressed file will be named "lxfree.pkg".

Double-clicking "lxfree.pkg" should launch the installer.

The installer places LXFree inside a folder named "LXSeries" in your Applications folder. If you cannot open LXFree, chances are that you downloaded the Intel/10.5+ version. If you have a G4 or G5 Mac, you still need the universal PPC version even if you have OSX 10.5. If you have OSX 10.4 you need to use the universal version even if you have a Mac with an Intel processor.

** If you really want to open the download from within FireFox, when you get to the open/save dialog window, you'll need to select "open" and probably click the "choose" button. To find the Archive utility, click on your hard drive on the left side of the file chooser. On the right side of the window, you should see your "System" folder. Double-click "System". Inside the System Folder, there is a "Library" folder. Double-click that. Inside the "/System/Library" folder is a folder named "CoreServices". Double-click that. Inside the "/System/Library/CoreServices" folder you will find "BOMArchiveHelper" or "Archive Utility" depending on which version of OSX you have. Choose either of those to open "lxfree.zip". This will not install LXFree. This will simply expand the lxfree.zip archive into "lxfree.pkg". The install package will be located in the folder that Firefox puts downloads, usually the Desktop or "Downloads" folder. You'll still need to find and open "lxfree.pkg" with the Installer to actually install LXFree.
box1088

Sorry. Just not working.

Post by box1088 »

I followed your latest directions very carefully.
I get as far as establishing a file in my Applications folder called LXSeries.
Inside that are two items: Logo LXFREE and LOGO UninstallLXSeries.command.
When I click on LXFree I get a nano-flash of the logo outside the applications window and then nothing new happens.

Lets just go ahead and purchase the older MacLuxPro that will hopefully work on this machine. The demo is working just fine.

Thanks,

Joel Dancingfire
box1088@mac.com
Joel Dancingfire
box1088@mac.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It sounds as though you got the download and install correct.

What you describe is what happens when you try to run the Intel 10.5+ version on a 10.4 or powerPC based machine.

If you are absolutely sure that you downloaded the 10.4 version and not the 10.5/Intel version, then there is something else preventing the software from running on your machine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

10.4 problems can be hard to diagnose because Apple has pretty much moved on from it. However, some research turned up the following:

With OSX 10.4 it is possible to disable fonts that will prevent an application from launching. LXFree uses LucidaGrande, Helvetica, and Times. On newer versions of OSX, the system does not allow you to remove these fonts. Apparently on 10.4 it is possible.

Its a long shot but, you can open Font Book check to see if these fonts are present and enabled.

Also, you can open the Console (in Utilities) to see if there are any messages left when you try to launch LXFree.