Constant crashing in 5.5.1

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
douglasc

Constant crashing in 5.5.1

Post by douglasc »

LXBeam 5.5.1 (14628.1)
macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)

Experiencing constant crashes in version 5.5.1 for seemingly no reason.

After the application has been open for a few minutes and I try to drop a light — crash. Click a light — crash. Change symbol — crash.

There's virtually no hang time before the program exits, it just snaps closed the moment the mouse is clicked or released. Incredibly frustrating.

I am experiencing this issue through multiple restarts and in multiple plot files.

-Doug Cox
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is an issue with v5.5 and the automatic update of the key block. The latest build fixes this issue. The latest build is found under "More Downloads" on the download page. The current latest build is set to be advanced to release status soon.

If turning off the automatic key block update (Preferences/KeyTitle Block, Automatically update key block) or using the latest build does not solve the issue, then please e-mail any crash reports you can find. To locate crash reports, open Applications/Utilities/Console.app. Look for the User Reports tab in the list on the left side of the console window. Clicking on that should show you a list of available crash reports. If you right-click a crash report, there will be a popup menu that has a "Reveal in Finder" command. Choosing that will allow you to locate and e-mail the crash report file.
douglasc

Post by douglasc »

Great - thank you! I will keep an eye on it tomorrow and update if I continue to have issues.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It appears that the problem with the automatic update of the key block causing crashes has finally been solved in Version 5.5.2 (14729.1).

It turns out that the underlying issue has existed for a while. The thing is that it rarely caused a crash. So, if manually updating the key block, it was likely to never happen. The automatic update of the key block happens every time a light is added or subtracted--a lot more times. The many updates in total were more likely to eventually have the rare situation where the crash occurred.

It is very difficult to track down this type of issue because it doesn't happen all the time and only luck (?) will reproduce it. The same steps don't necessarily trigger the problem so it becomes an easter egg hunt.

in any event, it appears that the cause has finally been located and fixed in the new release version 5.5.2 build 14729.1 (and later when new builds become available).