Newbie question

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
AdminBear

Newbie question

Post by AdminBear »

(please feel free to move/delete this question if it's in the wrong place)

The black box theatre I spend most of my time in has a fixed grid that is 12 pipes wide by 9 pipes deep. Each "square" of the grid is 4 foot by 4 foot.

How would I go about doing that layout to start hanging lights on in LxBeams or am I *totally* missing the point?

Thanks,
jack
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quoting from USITT Recommended Practice for Theatrical Lighting Design Graphics:

2.3.3 Designation and numbering of mounting positions in non-proscenium venues
• Pipe grid positions should be designated by
numbers on one axis of the grid and by letters on the other axis.
• Other atypical mounting positions may be designated by compass points or numbering in a clockwise manner.
• Mounting positions that repeat should be numbered from a consistent starting point.
• Other atypical hanging positions should be designated in a fashion that is sensible to the electricians. Luminaires hung in these positions should be numbered in an intelligible fashion compatible with other luminaire designations on the plot.

https://www.dolphin.upenn.edu/pacshop/RP-2_2006.pdf

In a proscenium layout, you would use the position tool to draw in pipes representing electrics and other hanging places. Its really no different with a fixed grid, except that you have to use an alternate naming convention to "1st electric", "2nd Electric", etc.

As a further technique, for an evenly spaced grid, you can draw a single position, assign its height, and then duplicate it to speed up the process. You might also create and use a Positions report to assign names rather than clicking on each individual line and using the Inspector's Info table.