Setting Scales other than 1:50

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree and other LXSeries software for OS-X.
sneakertim

Setting Scales other than 1:50

Post by sneakertim »

I am having trouble understanding the scaling in LX Beams on Mac OS X.

I would specifically like to understand how to properly set up the document so that it will output 1:100 @ A3, but would like a step by step walk through, as I would like to better understand the program.

I have used several other CAD platforms, but the scaling for output in LXBeams is quite different to anything I have seen before.

Thanks, Tim.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXBeams has a fixed native scale of 1/4" = 1'-0" or 1:50. The size of its document is set in pages (width x height).

When printing on a Mac there are two ways to change the size of the output. Both the printer driver's scaling and the zoom of the document are applied.

In order to do what you want, use the Page Setup button in the Document tab of the Inspector. Set your page size to be A3 and the scale to be 50%. The reason you pick 50% is that 1:100 is half the size of LXBeam's 1:50. Check that the portrait or landscape orientation is the way you want it. Click OK to close the page setup sheet. Check that the document size is set to 1x1 page.

When you print, be sure to zoom to "Actual Size" (Cmd-0).

Zoom is one of the options that are included when you save a view. You can also save options like "Draw Symbols in B&W". You may want to get the zoom and drawing options set and the save a view called "Printing" that allows you to easily recall these settings when you are ready to actually print. Views are saved and recalled using the "Views" submenu in the View menu.

You could also pick A3 page size at 100%, set the document to 2x2 pages and always print zoomed in to 50%. That's probably more confusing. But, it serves to illustrate that both zoom and printer scaling change the size of the printed plot.