Ipads beams show up in LXConsole but not in LXBeams

Use this forum to post questions about using LXBeams on iPad.
Johan Söderberg

Ipads beams show up in LXConsole but not in LXBeams

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I find this rather strange.

If I run LXConsole and LXBeams in my laptop I can see all changes I do in LXConsole directly on my plot in LXBeams.
So the connection between the two works just fine.

And if I use my LXbeams in the iPad to remotecontrol LXConsole over OSC that also works great in the sense that valuechanges I do in my iPad immediately affect LXConsole.

But !
The channel I changed over OSC from my iPad doesnt get marked as it would be if Id make the change directly in LXConsole AND even though the channelvalue changes in LXConsole nothing happens in my LXBeams plot in the laptop. No beam is shown there...

So after a short while my assistant who jumps in now and then on the laptop has an LXbeams plot in the computer showing some beams while I who walk around with my iPad have a completely different picture of which beams are lit. And none of the two is correct... :-)

Have I done something wrong?
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole can receive OSC from more than one source, you can control it from both your iPad and from the laptop. It only sends OSC out to a single destination, either the laptop or the iPad. These connections are established with Bonjour. The desired receiver is set in LXConsole's OSC Out preferences. There is a difference between LXBeams on Mac and LXBeams on iPad and you have to choose which you want to send the channel changes to.
Johan Söderberg

I've set LXConsole to run the script: "send channel levels to LXBeams" on cue update.
And that works very well, only not if the cue is updated from the iPad running iosLXBeams. In that case the intensity changes in LXConsole but no script is triggered to send any levels to LXBeams on the laptop.

The beams lit from the iPad don't show up in the laptops version of LXBeams.

My guess is that it might have something to do with the fact that the channels arent marked at all even though they change their value when remotecontrolled from ioslxbeams.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that this is being caused by a check on a situation where a bi-directional OSC connection could create a feedback loop. In this case, incoming OSC messages are not echoed back out the OSC output. This prevents them from being endlessly passed back and forth in a loop.

But, in this case, the check is preventing the desired behavior. So it has been modified so that it only disables echoing when the outgoing and incoming IP addresses are the same. (build 6931B)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately, there are some circumstances where disabling the loopback prevention based on IP does not work. So, the latest build of LXConsole, 7002A has an added preference in the OSC Out tab that allows you to manually disable loopback prevention. This should only be used when the outgoing OSC message will not go back to the source of an incoming channel change.

In the above case, this could be used to allow a change in LXBeams on the laptop to be sent to LXConsole and then cause an outgoing message to LXBeams on the iPad. However, with loopback disabled, a change using LXBeams on the iPad could cause a loop between it and LXConsole.
Johan Söderberg

This is all wonderfully confusing and only causes me to be more grateful that someone else is fiddling with things like this:
Freeing lighting designers...
so they have time for more important stuff.
Thanks!