Cannot see the iCloud files after switching it on

Use this forum to post questions about using LXBeams on iPad.
timld

Cannot see the iCloud files after switching it on

Post by timld »

Hi,
I just loaded up the lxbeams app and followed the instructions in the support forum for switching iCloud on.
When I look at the files, there is no iCloud option visible.
On my mac I can see the mobile documents folder as specified,but when I put a file in there, it is not visible on the app.
iCloud is switched on for this ipad and 'documents and data' is on, as is the mac.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Cheers
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are a couple of common possibilities. First, iCloud syncs on its own schedule. So, it may take some time for files that you drop in the folder on a Mac to appear on the iPad. And, you must, of course, have active network connections on both devices for this synching to occur.

Second, there are two types of LXSeries files. The default file storage on a Mac uses a Cocoa based binary storage. This type of file has an .lxplot extension. All other platforms including Windows, Linux and iOS use an XML based format which has an .lxxplot extension.

The XML based format produces a slightly larger file than the Mac OS binary form. However, it will save all the same information. The XML based file may store things in several formats so that various devices can display them. And some parts of the file that pertain to a particular system may not be read by LXSeries applications on another operating system. But, no data is lost by storing files as XML. In fact, it is likely that the Mac applications will default to XML based storage at some point soon.

To convert a Mac Binary file to the cross-platform XML type, choose File->Export and pick the file type from the list at the bottom of the save sheet.

Files with an .lxplot extension will not appear in the list of files shown on LXBeams for iPad (only files with an .lxxplot extension are listed). And, it is possible that is the reason you don't see them.
timld

Post by timld »

That's all good, I can see the XML file. Thank you!

How do I save files from the iPad to iCloud? They just seem to stay there and I can't see them on the Mac.

Cheers
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Documents in iCloud are stored locally. But, the file is synched between devices. So, if a file is changed on the iPad, it will be updated on the Mac. And the other way around.

To open a file stored in the iCloud folder on a Mac from LXFree or LXBeams, choose File -> Open. Then press "~" which will display a "Go to the Folder:" sheet. Enter "~/Library/Mobile Documents" and press enter. From there you can navigate to the ...lxiseries~lxbeams folder and then on to the Documents folder where you will find the files stored on iCloud.

To save files on the iPad to iCloud, you need to enable saving in iCloud. Tap the settings icon in the upper right corner. Then tap "Preferences". The first item should be "Use iCloud". Make sure that is on. If you have stored a file on the iPad and it is not in iCloud, you can move a copy to iCloud after it is enabled in the Preferences. (The system settings must also have iCloud set for storage of Documents).

To move a local file to iCloud, tap the Files button and then select the file you want to move. Once it is open, again tap the Files button and tap the duplicate icon which is to the right of the plus icon at the top of the files popover. When the duplicate is created, it will be created in iCloud rather than the local storage.
timld

Post by timld »

Hi,

That seems to be all sorted now. Thank you!!

Cheers
Tim