lx.claudeheintzdesign.com Forum Index lx.claudeheintzdesign.com
A forum for discussion of LX Series lighting software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Par can beam axis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lx.claudeheintzdesign.com Forum Index -> LXSeries Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanternz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Par can beam axis Reply with quote

Is there someway that you could add a direct click and drag to fine tune the axis of par cans? I know I can do this through the direct angle entry in the stroke/fill info tab but it would be useful if it were possible to drive this directly through the beam image - something like the control point function when drawing curved lines. The issue is trying to see if I can get an assymetric overhead rig of cans to evenly light a surface even when the angle of incidence is widely different across the rig.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a trackpad you can select the par beam and use a two finger "rotate" gesture to change the axis.
lanternz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That function does not seem to work on my Mac. OS 10.13.6. MacBook Pro Mid 2012. Two finger rotation turned on in System Preferences.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure, the two finger rotate gesture works to rotate other selected shapes and not the beam? Or, the two finger gesture does not rotate at all?

If no rotate is working, check the preferences interface tab to see if you have disabled rotate.
lanternz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I had checked system preference for two finger rotation but neglected to look at the check box in LxPro Interface preferences. Works now. Thanks.
lanternz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on this axis rotation issue. In the beam display, even though the instrument is not very far from vertical I find that rotation does not preserve the oval shape of the beam. Rotation seems to shift the image to nearly circular as it rotates. This does not seem to represent the true behavior of the beam.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outline of the beam for a PAR is an approximation. The approximation of foreshortening when the beam is cross-wise at a distance indeed looks counter-intuitively oval. However, as a guide it its actually reasonably accurate.

You can get perhaps a better picture if you use the model window. You'll want to select the par symbol you are trying to model. Then, in the Inspector's info tab, double-click "rendering" in the 3D category. This will bring up the rendering options sheet. Be sure to enable "Use Template Image/Mask" so that the beam is rendered with an oval mask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lx.claudeheintzdesign.com Forum Index -> LXSeries Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: